MANITOBA LIQUOR & LOTTERIES RECEIVES FAIR TRADE WORKPLACE DESIGNATION
Now the Largest Fair Trade Workplace in Canada
WINNIPEG – Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries is thrilled to announce that it has recently received the Fair Trade Workplace Designation from Fairtrade Canada and the Canadian Fairtrade Network, making it the largest Fair Trade workplace in Canada.
“Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries is dedicated to being a sustainable business that makes a positive impact for all Manitobans,” said Bev Mehmel, Director Corporate Responsibility. “We also recognize the importance of being a good global citizen and supporting fair working conditions for all.”
The Fair Trade Workplace program was created to recognize organizations for their efforts to source Fairtrade certified products and for their awareness-raising activities among their staff and customers.
Through sustainable procurement practices, Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries ensures that:
- 25% of the food in our casino restaurants is locally sourced;
- paper products purchased are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified to support sustainable forestry practices;
- all single use food containers, including straws, supplied at Casinos of Winnipeg are compostable;
- between 20-25 Fairtrade certified products are offered in Liquor Marts, making us a leader among Canadian liquor jurisdictions;
- Fairtrade certified coffee options are available throughout our casino properties and corporate offices. In 2017/18, this resulted in the purchase of approximately 11,300 kg of Fairtrade coffee.
Our supplier code of conduct also sets out ethical work expectations for the companies that we have business relationships with, ensuring our suppliers are supporting international labour laws and human rights along the supply chain.
“As we celebrate Fairtrade Month, we’re thrilled to welcome Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries to our community of designated Fair Trade Workplaces,” said Julie Francoeur, Executive Director at Fairtrade Canada. “Liquor & Lotteries has made an emphatic commitment to fair terms of trade through its purchasing policies and code of conduct, and is now setting an example that we hope will be followed by organizations across the country. This commitment will have meaningful impact for farmers and workers, their families, and their communities in the Global South. Congratulations on becoming the largest Fair Trade Workplace in Canada!”
To learn more about how Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries supports Fair Trade and the ways in which we are committed to making our province stronger though our corporate responsibility and business practices, please view our Corporate Responsibility Report at www.mbll.ca
- 30 -
As a Crown corporation, Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries returns its revenues to the Province of Manitoba to support government programs and initiatives that are a benefit to all citizens.
Public Affairs Coordinator, Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries
204.957.2500 ext. 3930 | email@example.com