When people drink to the point they are confused or can’t respond, they are beyond being drunk – they are suffering from alcohol poisoning. At this point, they can’t look after themselves and leaving them alone to “sleep it off” can have awful consequences.
If you think someone may have alcohol poisoning, call 911 immediately to get medical help – this one act can save a life.
If you’re around someone who is drunk and still able to respond and be understood, here are some tips to keep in mind:
Try to make sure the person doesn’t drink any more alcohol. Offer water or other non-alcoholic drinks.
Try to keep the person sitting up – reflexes and coordination decrease with alcohol intake.
Speak clearly and without yelling.
Stay with someone who is vomiting.
Lay a drunk person down on their side. A person who vomits while laying on their back or stomach could choke or breathe vomit into their lungs.
If possible, avoid giving the person coffee or other stimulants. These drinks won’t sober them up and they can cause more problems.
Making a person vomit can be harmful because they can choke.
A cold shower or throwing cold water on the person doesn’t help. The shock of temperature could send them into physical shock.